Sunday, December 12, 2010

And so it began to snow

Today marked the day of the very first time I experienced snow.

The first snow this year

I am not really so giddy about the idea of it but it is always nice to view something new.

Since winter has officially started, my host family accompanied me to buy my very first winter boots. Having no need for that in the Philippines, I am at a loss on how to find a good one. We went to Ozdelik, a shopping mall here in Kocaeli and did rounds to find the one for me. In less than 5 minutes I found my boots. It is not smashing but it looks sturdy and is cheap.

Afterwards, we had dinner somewhere. This feels like my first real restaurant experience in Turkey and I am happy that my host family paid the bill. They said I can always pick the tab next time. Yikes.

aji... Hot pepper na kinakain nilang parang mani

With Dilber... my host mother

My meal that I wasn't able to finish, Cok buyuk...

My host family... Guess who's lucky? :)

It has always been the case that we meet up with their very close friends Ahmet and Sevim. We meet them almost twice or thrice a week. Tonight, it was Ahmet and Sevim's turn to host in their house.

We had baked potatoes. This food is called Kumpir in Turkey. We put salt, ketchup and butter into it. I had my first Kumpir in Istanbul and there were so much stuff going on inside. I liked the simpler one of just salt and ketchup.

The traditional Turkish heater which is also used as an oven

Ahmet checking if the potatoes are ready

The girls enjoying their Kumpir

Yemek yemek yemek...

Tomorrow, my host family and Ahmet's family will get together again for a breakfast buffet at Ozdilek. Weekend is equivalent to eating. I am not complaining though.
 
1.5 degrees Celsius... the temperature on our way home

I expect to see white when I wake up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment