Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Seasons

It is 6 degrees Celsius outside.

We thought that spring has officially arrived last week. Temperature rose to as high as 20 degrees and people began shedding their thick clothes and some even started wearing T-shirts and shorts.

But now it is back to less than 10 degrees and we are wearing our thick jackets and coats again.

The idea that spring is almost here excites me. I realized that winter is not something to pine for. I remember the previous weeks when I was freezing in the middle of the afternoon even if all the heaters in school were on. My feet were also icy despite my thick socks and trusty boots. Maybe winter is not something that my tropical body can get used to quickly.

But spring also poses a problem for me. The perennial question of what to wear is haunting me.

Coming from the Philippines whose staple clothes are cotton shirts and jeans, wearing different sets of clothes for different seasons is totally alien to me.

I must admit though that it is fun dressing up especially if you have a deep wardrobe to choose from. But with my limited outfits, I have to make do with what I have in my luggage and what I can afford to buy here.

Still, I am excited to see flowers blooming again and trees waking up into a colorful green. I just hope I won't look so funny with my turtlenecks in the coming season because that's all I have now until I have enough budget to buy those nice long-sleeved shirts I am seeing in the shopping malls now.

Anyway, bos ver, as what Turkish people will say, or it's not important.

There are far more pressing world problems like the state of Libya and the tsunami and nuclear fears in Japan than the state of my closet here in Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment