Sunday, October 31, 2010

Filipino in Turkey


I started my research about Filipinos living in Turkey while I was still preparing for this traineeship. Going in a country where I don't know anybody is scary and the idea that there is a Filipino living nearby gives me at least slight comfort and makes me feel a little bit safer.

Thanks to Facebook and the people I met along the way who connected me to her (special mention to Kathie), I found Elizabeth.


She got married to a Turkish guy 3 years ago and has been living in the country since then. What's nice is she is super nice. She treated me and still treats me like I am a long time friend. I owe a lot to her.

So I got to meet her last October 17, just 4 days after I arrived in Turkey. She was with her son, and in-laws. Her husband suddenly got sick and cannot join the meeting.


I must say that I felt welcomed in that meeting. Elizabeth was so kind to lend me her winter clothes and gave me socks in preparation for the cold weather. The in-laws were also darlings and made my heart warm.

They treated me in a Lahmacun restaurant. Lahmacun is a traditional Turkish food. It is like a thin but big pita bread covered with meat and other spices. You have to squeeze lemon on top of it and put a lot of vegetables afterwards. Then, you will roll it and eat like shawarma. It was partnered with  Ayran, a traditional yoghurt-based drink. What's interesting is you have to add a pinch of salt to it before drinking. It was something new for me.

Lahmacun
with salt, seriously
We may have a lot of stereotypes and prejudices about people we haven't met but most of the time all are just based on lack of information or misinformation. I am just so happy for this first meeting and I am looking forward to fortifying friendship with these people I am getting to know just now.

2 comments: